Monday, October 13, 2008

Victorious... At Last!

About 4 years ago my mom gave me a wheat grinder for Christmas. I swore that I would learn how to make yummy homemade whole wheat bread. Just like the stuff my mom made for me when I was a kid. Well... let's just say I tried, REALLY hard. I did. But it just didn't turn out. All that has changed. I am now a victorious maker of homemade bread! So, in honor of the joy and happiness I feel right now, I'm passing the recipe along to all of you. Enjoy!
Mom's Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
4 1/2 cups warm water 2 serving spoonfuls of yeast 1/4 cup olive oil (because it's more healthy!) 1/3 cup honey 1 tablespoon salt 1/4 cup gluten flour (this is very important... don't try to make it without) 6 to7 cups white wheat flour (you can use red wheat, but white is much better) 1 to 2 cups white flour, for a total of about 8 cups Directions: Mix water, yeast, olive oil, honey, and salt in bread mixer. Let the yeast proof for about 5 to 10 minutes. Gradually add wheat flour, white flour, and gluten flour. Mix for 7 to 10 minutes. This is will help the dough become soft and elastic. Check after 7 minutes to see if the dough will STRETCH, like elastic. Take out of mixer and let rise til double. Cut into equal thirds. Punch down. Roll flat with rolling pin. Then roll up into bread shape. Put in greased pans. Let rise in cold oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes turn on oven and cook for 35 minutes at 325, from a cold oven. Makes three loaves.

7 comments:

Keller Clan Mom said...

Heidi, This has always been an elusive goal of mine too! Maybe I will have to try it! What is better than homemade bread? Your's look beautiful! Aimee

Swasey Times said...

What's the secret of your new found success with bread? Is it the double ovens and gorgeous kitchen? What loaf of bread wouldn't want to be born there? :)

Kristen said...

That looks so good! Now I know why I keep getting these yummy recipes from you. You're an expert! Keep sending them. You're house is beautiful by the way and I LOVE your kitchen!

Beeswax said...

I tried for years to make good bread, then I called Debbie and she gave me a similar recipe to this one. I've changed it a little over the years, and now I add a little more oil and about 2 cups of a 14 grain mix in place of some of the flour. It is a fabulous recipe. Glad it worked for you!

Susan said...

Hi Heidi...remember me? Susan (Crum) Cook. Just wondering-Is gluten flour the same as dough enhancer? If not do you buy it at a regular grocery store? Thanks.

BTW...I am so happy to hear of the good progress of C & S. Love from Queen Creek.

Heidi said...

Hey Susan! Good to hear from you...hope things are going well?! I'm not 100 % sure if they're the same, but I don't think so. You can buy wheat gluten at the grocery store, in the baking aisle. It's usually next to the yeast, etc.

Susan said...

OK nuther question...is gluten flour the same as Bread Flour or Better for Bread Flour??? I will find it-i will. I need to fine tune my bread so it doesn't get so crumbly the next day.

Email me and I'll send you a link to my (not so) exciting blog.
cooksaz@mchsi.com